Submitting an Article Online
To submit an article online, and to check the status of your submission, you need to have an account with Journal of Open Archaeology Data
Don't have an account? Register Here.
Authors are invited to submit manuscripts that fall within the focus of the journal. Please follow the below guidelines, and contact the Editor if you have any questions.
Submitting a data paper to JOAD is quick and easy, as follows. If you are submitting a paper about data that is already public, you can start from step 3.
- Register as an author with JOAD, and start your article. All JOAD data papers can be authored quickly and efficiently using our word processing template (see below).
- Deposit your data in an acceptable repository. Please see our list of repositories, or choose your own. Please also read our list of peer review criteria, and aim to make sure that your data deposition meets these standards. Remember to make your data public so that the reviewers can find it.
- The repository will provide you with a DOI (or similar persistent identifier) for your data. Please add this to your data paper under repository location.
- When finished, submit the paper for review. A reviewer will get back to you and may recommend changes either to the way your data has been archived, or to the paper itself.
- Make any changes the peer reviewer has suggested. Once your paper has passed peer review, you’re almost there!
- Finally, copy the citation for your article (including the DOI) and add this to the record of your data in the repository. Once this has been done, your article will be published immediately.
Please submit your completed template through the online submission system when ready for review.
Article Processing Charges
If your paper is accepted for publication, you will be asked to pay an Article Publication Charge (APC) of £100 to cover publications costs. This fee can normally be sourced from your funder or institution, and we recommend approaching them about this at the time of submission.
You will be able to pay any amount from nothing to full charge, as we recognise that not all authors have access to funding, and we do not want fees to prevent the publication of worthy work. The editor and peer reviewers of the journal will not know what amount (if any) you have paid, and this will in no way influence whether your article is published or not.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file has been created from the JOAD article template.
- Where available, DOIs for the references have been provided.
- Tables and figures are all cited in the text. Tables are included within the text document, whilst figure files are uploaded as supplementary files.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, which is found in About the Journal.
- Figures/images have a resolution of at least 150dpi (300dpi or above preferred). Each file is no more than 20MB per file. The files are in one of the following formats: JPG, TIFF, GIF, PNG, EPS (to maximise quality, the original source file is preferred).
- All authors have given permission to be listed on the submitted paper and satisfy the authorship guidelines.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
If this paper is accepted for publication, you will be asked to pay an Article Publication Fee to cover publications costs.
If you do not have funds available to pay the APC (e.g. because your institution/funder will not cover the fee) then we may be able to offer a discount or full waiver. Please ensure that you contact the editor
as early as possible should you need to discuss waiver options or the APC in general. Editorial decisions are made independently from the ability to pay the APC.