How to submit a data paper
Submitting a data paper to JOAD is quick and easy, as follows. If you are submitting a paper about data that is already public, you can start from step 3.
- Register as an author with JOAD, and start your article. All JOAD data papers can be authored quickly and efficiently using our online editor, or submitted via a word processing template (see below).
- Deposit your data in an acceptable repository. Please see our list of repositories, or choose your own. Please also read our list of peer review criteria, and aim to make sure that your data deposition meets these standards. Remember to make your data public so that the reviewers can find it.
- The repository will provide you with a DOI (or similar persistent identifier) for your data. Please add this to your data paper under repository location.
- When finished, submit the paper for review. A reviewer will get back to you and may recommend changes either to the way your data has been archived, or to the paper itself.
- Make any changes the peer reviewer has suggested. Once your paper has passed peer review, you’re almost there!
- Finally, copy the citation for your article (including the DOI) and add this to the record of your data in the repository. Once this has been done, your article will be published immediately.
Article Processing Charges
If your paper is accepted for publication, you will be asked to pay an Article Publication Fee of £25 to cover publications costs. This fee can normally be sourced from your funder or institution, and we recommend approaching them about this at the time of submission.
You will be able to pay any amount from nothing to full charge, as we recognise that not all authors have access to funding, and we do not want fees to prevent the publication of worthy work. The editor and peer reviewers of the journal will not know what amount (if any) you have paid, and this will in no way influence whether your article is published or not.
If using one of the data paper templates below, please submit it directly to the editor when ready for review.